Wednesday, April 29, 2009

VACCINES- FRIEND OR FOE?

HELP!?
Now, I'm not some hippie who is against vaccines, but the more research I do the more scared and confused I tend to get. Some articles make vaccines sound safe and others make it seem like we are potentially overdosing our children and falling for some pharmaceutical money making scheme. Granted most of my research thus far has been done over the Internet (I haven't asked my pediatrician yet), but still I can't help but worry.

One article I found said that in 1983 (the year before I was born) only 11 vaccines were given to children by the time they were two years old. Now 20+ years later a total of 36 vaccines are given to kids by that same age! Also Autism has increased from 1 in 10,000 in 1983 to 1 in 80 presently. Although the majority of the research I've found says there is no direct link (I'm sure it could be a number of factors), it still makes me nervous and question.

Anyways, since most of friends in the "blog world" have children I thought I would throw this question out to you. Are there any vaccines you and your pediatrician have omitted? Or have you just given your kids all of them? Any side effects? Any advice you guys could give me is appreciated. I know our little guy born yet, and I'm sure our pediatrician will guide us, but I figure the more I know the better off I'll be. I just find it funny that a baby needs a Hep B shot...I mean I didn't get a Hep B shot until I started working in the psychiatric ward and if you saw the patients I worked with you would know why that shot was necessary:)

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

4 comments:

Aleese and Scott said...

Vaccinations are very important in my opinion. They are not only for the health of your child, but for the entire community. A lot of those studies you read are not based on any solid scientific information. Of course I have a very medical family and a husband who will be a doctor so I am a little biased. I personally wouldn't take the chance in not doing it.

The Obergs said...

Aleese summed it up perfectly. There's no way I would skip on vaccinations.

Kattie said...

Jenn-
I too am a little biased since I am going to be a nurse. For me it is very important to my kids. I know some people are just nervous to do it when they are tiny babies, there is no probelem with waiting until they are old enough where you feel comfortable with it. Cohen didnt have any side effects besides a fever on his first round of shots, but then on his second round I didnt massage his legs after and he didnt get a fever:) Do what you think is best. Also If you had to get them cause you will be working with people who are a high risk for carrying these infections, remeber you bring it home with you too:)

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% with the above comments! It is very important to vaccinate but with Lexi I have slowed down the process, I just didn't want to put so many in her as quickly.